Shutout streak

The box score from the St. John’s men’s soccer team’s opening game against No. 18 Virginia would probably worry most fans.

The Red Storm were out-shot 17-7 and ended up finishing the game with 18 fouls, which included four players receiving yellow cards.

But after barely squeaking by Virginia in the opening game of the Virginia Soccer Classic on Friday, the Red Storm looked like the team that excelled in the Big East conference in the past, blanking the Old Dominion Monarchs, 2-0, on Sunday.

The Red Storm (2-0-0) were led by goals from juniors Nelson Becerra and Adam Himeno and a solid effort in net from senior Neal Kitson.

“I thought that we were able to create some good chances, particularly in the second half,” said head coach Dave Masur.
“Defensively, we maintained our intensity against a tough Old Dominion team.”

Becerra scored the winner in the 20th minute of play off a cross from sophomore midfielder Ale Ivo.

“We started off well, scoring early in the game,” Himeno said. “It boosted our confidence, which is always good. Basically we kept the ball most of the time and didn’t allow them to get a flow or rhythm.”

Himeno, who was named Big East Offensive Player of the Week and to the TopDrawerSoccer.com Team of the Week, scored his second goal of the year during the 73rd minute of play.

The play started with senior defender Rory Quinn clearing to freshman forward Walter Hines. Hines then flicked the ball to a running Himeno, who beat Old Dominion goalkeeper Michael Roura to find the back of the net.

After Himeno’s goal, the Red Storm continued to test Roura, but were unable to tally another.

Himeno, along with sophomore midfielder Tadeu Terra finished the game with a team high two shots. St. John’s would finish the game out-shooting Old Dominion, 11-3.

The Red Storm defense, made up by Kitson, Quinn, junior Ben Clack, junior David Reed, and freshman Connor Lade played outstanding during the match, allowing only one shot on goal.

“Those guys did a good job,” Masur said.

“But as a team, everyone has to do it. Everyone has to work. We still have to get better in certain areas. Hopefully that will come through as we move forward.”

Kitson, who was recently named Big East Goalkeeper of the Week, finished the game with one save.

“We came out knowing that [Old Dominion] was going to be a very strong, tough team. This team was harder and bigger than us in every way,” Kiston said. “The defense did a great job protecting me.”

The Red Storm, who is now ranked No. 19 in the Soccer America Top 25 Poll and No. 22 in the first NSCAA/adidas national rankings, will travel to Providence, R.I. this weekend, to square off against the Brown University Bears and the Boston
College Eagles at the adidas-Brown
Soccer Classic.