Baseball America commends recruiting class

The St. John’s baseball team’s
2009-10 recruiting class has been recognized by Baseball America as the top
recruiting class in the Northeast.

The 14-man class was called a sleeper by the publication in its annual recruiting rankings, but was not nationally ranked.

“We are very excited about this year’s recruiting class,” Head Coach Ed Blankmeyer said. “We brought in some fine student-athletes and talented ball players that we believe will have an impact on the program.”

The class features four players that were drafted in the 2009 MLB First Year Player Draft.

That group is led by pitcher Kyle
Hansen of St. Dominic’s High School in Oyster Bay, N.Y., the younger brother of former St. John’s All-American and
current Pittsburgh Pirates pitcher Craig Hansen. The 6-7 right-hander’s fastball has been clocked at 94 mph and features what scouts consider to be an
average slider.

Hanson was selected in the 40th round of the draft (1,216th overall) by the
Milwaukee Brewers. After briefly considering forgoing college, Hansen decided to honor his commitment to St. John’s.

Right-hander Matt Carasiti will also help bolster the Red Storm pitching staff. The Connecticut native has impressed scouts with his projected ability and arm strength, reaching as high as 92 mph on the radar gun. Carasiti was considered a three-star prospect and scouts say he has
the ability to be an above-average college player.

Carasiti was taken in the 36th round (1,084 overall) by the Texas Rangers. The 6-3 pitcher was named the 2009 Connecticut Player of the Year and was a National Player of the Year award finalist.

Outfielder Jimmy Brennan was taken in the 45th round (1,350 overall) by the Detroit Tigers. Brennan hit .467 in his
senior season at Suffern High School, while leading the Mounties to a berth in the Class AA Championship game. Brennan selected St. John’s over schools such as Boston College, Tulane
and Seton Hall.

Outfielder Jeremy Baltz was the
final member of the class selected in the draft. Scouts say that Baltz has
above-average power as a right-handed
hitter. The New York native was taken
by the hometown Yankees in the 45th
round (1,365 overall).

The class also features 10 players from the tri-state area. Baltz, Brennan, Hansen, Cameron Black, Anthony Cervone, Sean Hagan, John Schilt and Pat Talbut all come from New York; while Kevin Needham and Sean O’Hare are from New Jersey; and Carasiti is from Connecticut.

Florida native Robert Case, Josh Daniel from Colorado, and Kevin Grove of California round out the class.

During the team’s recent Intrasquad World
Series, Blankmeyer was impressed with the progress his team’s newest members have made.

“I thought that we improved in each game throughout the series,” Blankmeyer said. “Our new guys showed a lot of promise, and I expect us to be a very solid squad this year.”

This is not the first time that St. John’s has attracted national attention with their recruiting efforts. Last season
baseballnews.com honored the Red Storm, naming the 2008-09 class to the
honorable mention list.