2012 Spring Music Fest

Haraya, the Pan-African Students’ Coalition announced Kendrick Lamar as one of many artists performing at this year’s Spring Music Fest, taking place  April   27.
The concert will follow the annual Spring Fling and the organization is promising more artist announcements soon to come.

The concert, which was also known as the Black Music Fest, is rumored to be bringing other artists like 2 Chainz and A$AP Rocky. The announcement was first made via one of Haraya’s member’s Twitter accounts on March 26 and retweeted by the organization’s official  account. President Liane Robinson also said that a new artist will be announced weekly until the week of the concert.
Secretary Megan Stevens could only confirm that Lamar would be performing but said she could not comment on the other
artists as of yet. The student body received the news with a mixed reaction with some even questioning who Kendrick Lamar is. Others, who are already fans of his music, are looking forward to the event.
Previous announcements for rappers Wale and J. Cole received the same lukewarm feelings but both artists have catapulted into stardom since gracing the Carnesecca Arena stage.
Lamar, who was featured on the TORCH’s March 7 issue as a First Listen artist, comes from humble beginnings and has made it clear that stardom is not his goal. He has said that he wants to still be recording albums and making music until he is 45, similar to his mentor Dr. Dre.  Coming to St. John’s could definitely be a stepping-stone that could promise longevity in his career and help him gather even more fans.
Earlier this month, Lamar signed with Aftermath/Interscope records and will be releasing his upcoming album Good Kid in a Mad City under said label.

Haraya will continue to add to the long list of artists in the upcoming weeks, and the concert is open to non-St. John’s students as well.