Class of 2016 Welcomed to STJ

Campus Activities and Student Government Inc. hosted the annual Week of Welcome to bring in the freshman Class of 2016 as well as incoming transfer students.

SGI President Christian Williams explained that the reason for hosting Week of Welcome is to help make new students familiar with the values that the University identifies itself with.

“The purpose of Week of Welcome is to introduce the new freshman at St. John’s University, to the rich tradition and core values that is St. John’s University,” Williams said in an email.

“Week of Welcome is also geared to returning and transfer students at St. John’s,” he added, “as each year has its own set of exciting and inspirational endeavors.”

Freshman Brett Zanzucchi said that the Week of Welcome helped him become better acclimated to the college atmosphere.

“Orientation was too lengthy,” he said. “This made it easier to adjust to living away from everyone I know.”

The events for Week of Welcome began on August 23, where students were picked up by Gate 6 and driven to a local Target, and had the opportunity to buy items to decorate their dorms.

Freshman Erin Sinkevich attended the event and compared it to shopping during Black Friday. “It was hectic,” she said. “Everyone was grabbing things.”

On Friday, the Resident Student’s Association hosted the first Java Johnnies, usually held in the Coffeehouse of the D’Angelo Center, but was instead held outside where students were able to receive free Dunkin Donuts and coffee or hot chocolate.

Freshmen were also given their first opportunity to experience the athletic side of the University, when the women’s and men’s soccer team held their home openers at Belson Stadium.

On Saturday night, students roamed the Residence Village which was transformed into the “Twilight Carnival.”Students had the opprotunity to play carnival games and enjoy free carnival food.

Monday, StormFest was held in front of Carnesecca Arena. Students had the opprotunity to meet members of the atheltics teams and Student Government. Mr. Softee and zeppolis were also avaiable for students who attended the event.

The last event for the Week of Welcome, the Academic Engagement Fair, was held on Tuesday, where students were able to preview some of the extracirricular clubs on campus. Student representatives from different organizations tried to recruit freshman in the D’Angelo Center.

“Week of Welcome has an educational and social emphasis, of encouraging students to achieve greatness,” Williams said.

“Freshmen are encouraged to exceed not only academically, but also through many sources of extracurricular activities”

Kayle Light, Coordinator of Campus Activities said that more than 500 people attended the Week of Welcome events on Saturday alone.

Light said that in looking to improve the events year after year, Campus Activities looks at the feedback given to them from students attending the events.

“Students opinions are always encouraged and I would love to hear more feedback from students as to what they liked and what we can improve on to make it more enjoyable for everyone,” she said.

Additional reporting by Mitchell Kirk, Senior Staff Writer