Athletics Staffer Placed on Leave Amid Scalping Investigation

Brian Colleary, St. John’s senior associate athletic director for external affairs/finance, was placed on administrative leave Friday by the school in response to allegations of ticket scalping, according to a New York Post report.

The Post reported on Feb. 10 that Colleary made thousands of dollars by scalping tickets to college basketball games at Madison Square Garden, including last season’s Big East Tournament and St. John’s home game against Duke.

Colleary was the athletic director at Dusquene for 16 years before resigning in 2005. He’s worked at St. John’s for the past six years. His staff biography was taken down from the University’s website as of Feb. 10, but an archived page said that his responsibilities included overseeing all athletic fundraisers and coordinating activities involving St. John’s athletics’ booster organization, the Red White Club.

St. John’s athletic director Chris Monasch was unavailable for comment. Senior associate athletics director for communications Mark Fratto said that Monasch is away on a 10-day tour of Nike factories in Asia with other Division I athletic directors.

Vice President for Media Relations Dominic Scianna would not comment on the issue, citing the university’s privacy policy regarding employees.