Basketball Schedules Released

The schedule for the 2012/13 St. John’s men’s basketball team was released Sept 5. Coached by Steve Lavin, the Red Storm will begin their season on Nov. 15 against Detroit at Carnesseca Arena at 5 p.m. The Johnnies will host 8 non-conference games throughout the NYC area, but they don’t begin BIG EAST Conference play until Jan. 2 when they travel to Villanova.

“Our young team will face another challenging schedule,” said head coach Steve Lavin in a press release. “In addition to the rigorous BIG EAST matchups, we will be facing a highly-competitive field down in Charleston, and playing host to tough foes at The Garden, at Carnesecca Arena and at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Our non-conference slate gives our fans in New York opportunities to come out and support the Johnnies in whatever backyard they call their own.”

Notable home games –

Jan. 12 – Georgetown (MSG) – 11a.m.

Jan. 15 – Notre Dame (MSG) – 7 p.m.

Feb. 16 – Connecticut (MSG) – 7 p.m.

The schedule for the 2012/13 St. John’s women’s basketball team was released Sept. 6. The Red Storm, led by first-year head coach Joe Tartamella, will begin their season against Texas at the WBI Tip Off Invitational in Daytona Beach, Fla. The Johnnies will face a difficult early season schedule on top of a BIG EAST Conference schedule that will air the Red Storm in multiple nationally televised games.

“We are excited for the opportunity to reach a wider market of women’s basketball fans through an increase in national television exposure,” said head coach Joe Tartamella in a press release. “Each year we have been able to add to our television schedule, which speaks volumes for the growth of our program over these last few years.”

The women’s team brings back four starters, and will try to reach the heights it did in its first year without former head coach Kim Barnes Arico, who left the program to take over at Michigan in April.

Notable home games –

Dec. 9 – vs. Duke (MSG) – TBA

Feb. 2 – Connecticut (Carnesseca) –2p.m.

Feb. 9 – Georgetown (Carnesseca) –2p.m.