High Profile Exits Continue

Two more teams have chosen to leave the Big East.

Louisville announced last week that they will be heading to the ACC, while Rutgers announced two weeks ago that they have decided to join the Big Ten in 2014.

Louisville will be joining fellow Big East members Pittsburgh and Syracuse on their trek to the ACC, while Notre Dame will also head to the ACC for every sport except football.

“The University of Louisville is honored to join the ACC, a conference with a long history of excellence in athletics and academics,” said University of Louisville President Dr. James Ramsey in a press release.

The Big East has lost seven teams to the ACC over the past decade.

Rutgers has spent a great deal of time investing in their football program and the university feels a strong football conference is the perfect step in continuing their progression.

“The Big Ten is really where Rutgers belongs,” said Rutgers University President Robert Barchi said in a statement.

On average, the schools that participate in the Big Ten receive $24 million in football payouts compared to the
$6 million that the Big East gives to their football members, according to ESPN.

With major programs leaving the Big East, it will not be a surprise to see the conference’s revenue decrease. With decreased profit and interest, St. John’s willingness to remain in the Big East could diminish.

St. John’s head men’s basketball coach Steve Lavin has assured reporters on more than one occasion that the program is focused primarily on themselves – but it may be time for the University to focus on the many changes surrounding them.

With that said, Madison Square Garden could be St. John’s ticket to greener pastures if other conferences come calling.