WBB Ends Skid

St. John’s ended a three game skid as they shut down Providence by a score of 65-51 on Wednesday evening.
Amber Thompson, Briana Brown, Nadira McKennith, and Aliyyah Handford all scored at least 10 or more points, with McKennith taking charge by scoring 21. This was the third time this season, and the first since Jan. 2, that four players scored in double digits.

The Red Storm (10-9, 4-3) dominated the boards throughout the entire game, out-rebounding the Friars (6-14, 1-6) 48-28.

The victory was not entirely straightforward for the Johnnies, who had their troubles against Providence in the first half. The Johnnies struggled with their mid-range shots early in the first 20 minutes, going 9 for 27. Providence took advantage of the Red Storm’s offensive woes and was able to establish an 11 point lead ten minutes into the game.

St. John’s got their act together following a media timeout and a pair of layups from Amber Thompson, who recorded 12 rebounds and 10 points, helped the Red Storm come within single-digits.

Following a Providence 3 pointer early in the second half, St. John’s went on a 14-0 run and was up by 5 with 14 minutes left to play.

McKennith took the lead for the rest of the game, doing damage from the line. Being fouled 4 times, the senior guard sank each of her free throws.

The Friars looked as if there was still some fight left in them when Tori Rule sank a 3 pointer to drag the lead down to 8, but Providence had nothing left in the tank and were left scoreless in the final minute and a half of the game, in which the Red Storm finished on a 6-0 run.