NYC Doctor Infected With Ebola

A New York City doctor was rushed to Bellevue Hospital after experiencing symptoms consistent with Ebola last Thursday morning. Hours later, blood test results confirmed that the doctor was infected with the virus, becoming the first diagnosed case of Ebola in New York City.

According to multiple news outlets, the doctor, 33-year-old Craig Spencer, was recently in the West African country of Guinea, one of three countries hit hardest with Ebola.

He was working for Doctors Without Borders and was treating patients infected with the virus.

On Thursday morning, Spencer contacted the Doctors Without Borders office after developing a fever. He was rushed to Bellevue after suffering symptoms of a 100.3-degree fever as well as gastrointestinal problems, both of which are consistent with Ebola.

He was immediately placed into isolation where health officials monitored him. By late Thursday evening, health officials announced that Spencer’s blood test came back positive for Ebola.

News of Spencer’s diagnosis has mounted concern among residents of New York City including students at St. John’s.

“I think the doctor having Ebola is very alarming because of how contagious it can be once symptoms occur but I hope that proper precautions are taken so it doesn’t spread,” said sophomore Shanyse Clark.

Some students are critical of the doctor’s decision to take a trip around New York City last Wednesday night, which included him traveling on multiple subway lines.

“I think it was stupid of him to go to all of these places considering he’s a doctor. He should’ve known better and taken better precautions,” said junior Selina Zhang.

In response to the Ebola outbreak, the St. John’s University Department of Health and Wellness has released a statement asking that any student, faculty, staff or administrator who has returned from West Africa in the last 21 days to contact the Queens Campus Health Center.