Hit or Miss: David Lynch

David Lynch may be more widely known for his work in the film and television industries, but his versality  is demonstrated though a new album titled Crazy Clown Time. Lynch has placed himself across the creativity spectrum of being a director, producer, painter and, as of recently, a musician with his alternative rock debut.
Lynch started his career in the late 1960s making short films at Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. Throughout his life Lynch has produced a number of pieces of work that have found much mainstream success including The Elephant Man (1980) and the popular 1990s television show Twin Peaks.
Throughout his work, Lynch has used the concept of surrealism. He seemed to enjoy throwing people off by incorporating ideas that wouldn’t traditionally
go together.
The Elephant Man, for example, was filmed in black and white as opposed to color which was commonplace during that time. The same can be found in the album Crazy Clown Time, released Nov. 8.
One may think based off the album’s title that it might have bursts of energy and an erratic tempo. In reality, the album stays true to previous works
from of Lynch as he again uses surrealistic aspects.
Crazy Clown Time is calming and mellow throughout. The lyrics for songs like “Pinky’s Dream” and “Noah’s
Ark” are  softly spoken and delivered fitting the overall theme of the album.
Other songs blend this softer approach with different elements. The song “Strange and Unproductive
Thinking” has a robotic voice speaking the lyrics instead of singing them. The title track also switches things up a little with the vocals being sung in an unusually high pitch. Spoken lyrics are found in a number of songs including “These are My Friends” and “Stone’s Gone Up” which just
adds to the uniqueness of this project.
Lynch’s latest has the same kind of surrealism that he uses in his entire body of work. The musical elements found in the
album are unexpected and while the songs don’t conform to the electronic dance club beats that are considered popular today, they do hint toward a techno-like sound.
The album may not sell well considering the kind of music that is continuously played on the radio, but Crazy Clown Time just isn’t that kind of music. In fact, Crazy Clow Time seems to be the complete opposite of that. The album doesn’t possess the kind of sound to make people excited or the kind of music to be played on radio air waves. It is more likely to be appealing to someone looking to relax and seems to be just the kind of album
someone would put  on repeat while they  take a warm bath or while reading
a book.