Hit or Miss: TYGA ‘Careless World: Rise of the Last King’

Rap artist Tyga hopes to be stacking “ten, ten, ten, twenties” with his second studio album titled Careless World: Rise of the Last King, released Feb. 21.

The “Rack City” rapper, who released his first album No Introduction on Decaydance records, will have his new album released under Young Money Entertainment and Cash Money records. While his first album didn’t do as well as he probably anticipated, he didn’t have the arsenal he has with Young Money.

Tyga isn’t really acknowledged; partially because he has never really had that one hit single that has beckoned the audience to see him in his entirety. Nowadays, becoming mainstream is a hardship because the radio tends to abuse hit records for an extended period of time.

His first album didn’t have the hits necessary for succesful marketing. He’s done differently with this album by putting out four songs beforehand. The problem has been that there’s no story format behind the bulk of work that he’s done — or at least the audience has yet to hear it. In discussing its plot with Vlad TV, he does not elaborate enough. “It’s my rise of becoming king of this careless world,” he said. “It’s a real theme album and it’s like narration from beginning to the end.” He may know how to release promotional records now but he sure does not seem to grasp on-the-spot interviews.

Even though he switched labels and promoted hot records to appeal to the public — there were many that were not impressed.

It is bass heavy but then again that’s the MO that the whole Young Money label has portrayed. And sadly, his album instrumentally sounds like a cop-out from Drake’s Take Care album which was released last November. Not all, but the majority of the instrumentals that Tyga gives us are strangely fixed. The album almost seems beat-infused by tempos that didn’t make the cut for Drake’s latest project. Which is
something to look for when listening.

Lyrically, Tyga shouldn’t really turn heads. The lyrics are just too simple. If the brainwashing beats he puts out on the album are ignored, you’ll notice his lyrics don’t really bring that unique sense. The punchlines he uses are confusing because they have a hard time making sense on some tracks. Almost as if he didn’t have the right words to keep the right cadence with it so he just threw a word in that stuck. Past the questionable rhyme schemes, the songs are catchy-and that’s that. Nothing more, nothing less.

The album is set to be listed with 20 songs and three interludes. However, he boasts prominent features which include J. Cole, Wale, Big Sean, Nas, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Pharrell, Lil Wayne as well as others. Songs that weren’t released promotionally to watch for are “Let it Show” featuring J. Cole, “King & Queens” featuring Nas and Wale, and “I’m Gone” featuring Big Sean.