Dave East to Perform at Red Storm Tip-Off

Photo Courtesy/Vimeo (Director Amil Barnes)

Dylan Hornik, Co-Sports Editor

New York City-based rapper Dave East will headline St. John’s Red Storm Tip-Off on Oct. 13, the University announced in a tweet earlier Thursday afternoon.

East, 29, released an EP in August 2017 titled “Paranoia: A True Story,” which has peaked at number nine on the Billboard 200 chart. His music is heavily influenced by Jadakiss, The Notorious B.I.G., Snoop Dogg and others.

A native of Harlem, N.Y., the rapper was featured in XXL Magazine’s 2016 Freshman Class as one of the best and brightest young stars in hip hop, alongside now-famous artists Lil Uzi Vert, Lil Yachty, Kodak Black, 21 Savage and Denzel Curry.

Also on that Freshman Class list was Desiigner, who performed to a raucous crowd at the 2016 Red Storm Tip-Off. Due to his rowdy performance, the University is preparing to make several potential safety changes for East’s performance.

Previous Tip-Off performers include hip hop artist French Montana and gold record-selling rapper Mac Miller.

In Spring 2016, East appeared on stage with Nas at the University’s annual spring concert sponsored by Haraya and Student Government, Inc. (SGI). Nas is reportedly a driving force behind East’s burgeoning music career.

East, whose real name is David Brewster Jr., played basketball in high school and was teammates with NBA players such as Ty Lawson, Grevis Vazquez and former NBA MVP Kevin Durant. He played briefly for the University of Richmond and Towson University before focusing on his music career.

Red Storm Tip Off will take place on Oct. 13 at Carnesecca Arena on the University’s Queens campus at 7 p.m. The men’s and women’s basketball teams will be introduced and there will be games and prizes for fans to win. Admission in free, but space is limited.

1 Comment

One Response to “Dave East to Perform at Red Storm Tip-Off”

1. John Liotta, class of 73 on October 16th, 2017 11:31 pm

The athletic department really threw up an air ball\ with the inclusion of Dave East to its midnight Madness program. While it’s “cool” that the athletic department and respective coaching staffs tried to impress respective recruits and the current student body, however, Mr.East comment “fuck Trump” was certainly not appropriate for some of the young (elementary aged) fans in the audience. It would seem that the organizers of the event could have either……
    1. Advised Mr. East of the makeup of the audience and to tone down his rhetoric.
    2. If Mr. East was unable to agree to such a request, the event organizers could have warned prospective event attendees who chose to support the event with their kids or grand kids attending in a statement regarding the appropriatness for minors to attend.
    3. Considered the fact that “the University is St. John’s”, which if I’m not mistaken is still a Catholic University which does not support vulgarity.
    At a time where respect and consideration of others is at an all time low in our nation, it would be great to see a Catholic University Lead the way by example. Unfortunately, St. John’s andi it’s athletic department missed the boat by no doing its due diligence in researching Mr. East, discouraging.

[Reply]

• Dave East to Perform at Red Storm Tip-Off

Features

Student Takes a Modern Twist on a Bookstore Favorite

News

International Student Enrollment Drops

News

Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk

News

Take Back the Night ‘SOARs’ Through SJU

News

Should SJU Celebrate Columbus Day?

News

Candlelight Vigil: Simple and Thoughtful

News

SJUOK? Suicide Prevention Walk Resonates with Students

News

Students Come Together to ‘Paint Under the Stars’

Features

SJU Alum Participates in Hollywood’s HollyShorts Film Festival

Features

@OVERHEARDAT_SJU